Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

VISUAL LEARNER

Throughout my life I have always considered myself to be a visual learner. When I have the opportunity to see images and charts it is relatively easy for me to make the connections necessary to solve complex problems. I prefer to have something concrete in hand or on a projector to assist me in my understanding of the topic. I always fared better in classroom settings where teachers provided handouts and other visual aides to explain a lesson. In terms of multiple intelligences, I would fall under the category of the logical/mathematical intelligence. I am a very inquisitive person who likes to find out all that I can about a particular problem. I also like dealing with numbers because of the ability to have an exact answer to a problem. I enjoy building things and figuring out how pieces to a puzzle are connected to each other. As an engineer, I am really interested in mathematical principles and enjoy being able to find out the right answer rather than theorizing about alternative possibilities.  It has been  rather difficult for me to process information when it is in lecture form, or if I’m expected  to do some type of hands on project without the assistance of some visual aide or model. I have also found difficulty in classroom settings where there can be more than one possible answer to a problem. Historically I’ve become quite frustrated with teaching strategies that primarily focused in on theories due to the inability to come up with one single answer. I believe that it is important as an educator to incorporate all of the different learning styles into the classroom setting so that each student will have an opportunity to achieve success academically. Many of our students may not recognize if they are a tactile, auditory, or visual learner, and we have the pleasure of assisting them in discovering their learning style. There will be some lessons where it will be necessary to take the auditory learning style approach, where other lessons my call for a visual learning style approach. I feel that it is necessary for us as educators in the filed of technology to have a firm grasp in terms of our ability to disseminate information to our students from a variety of different learning points.

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to read about a learner who thrives on concrete answers. Classrooms are filled with requests to think about other ways to solve the problem. I imagine it must be difficult for those who see the solution and are then ready to move on. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete