Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Part D - Findings and Implications

1.  Formative: Did the project get implemented as planned?

Q:  Hi Leonard, how is it going with you and your mentor?
A: Things have been going really well. Vinessa is very knowledgeable in the area of electronics and I feel that I’ve learned a lot from her. It’s been fun going to her job and seeing what happens in a regular 9 to 5. It’s nothing like my job at Halo Burger.

Q:  How long have you guys been meeting and how often:
A: We’ve been meeting for the past three weeks, usually 2 days a week. I missed a day two weeks ago because of the winter storm.



2.  Summative: Evidence of success in addressing the problem of practice

Q:  How has your mentor helped you with narrowing down your major choices to study electronics, computer, radio, and film?
A: Vinessa has helped me a lot by allowing me to see what she does from day to day. Her supervisor has really high expectations of her and she is given really important tasks. She has helped me to narrow my focus to studying electronics. Vinessa often allows me to do some hands on stuff to assist her with her job. She has shared with me the necessary coursework which is needed in order to obtain a position, and has helped me to see how important it is to obtain an internship prior to going into the field. I would have probably gone to MSU next year as a no preference major had I not had the opportunity to work with her.

Q:  Did she guide you towards your college decision?
A: Vinessa helped me to see that I have a lot of options and that I do not have to pick one thing right now. She didn’t push me towards one major or the other, but she allowed me the hands on experience and the opportunity to see her at work which led me towards my career path.



3.  How would you approach another project of this type differently given what you’ve learned here?

Through what I have learned I would pair my mentors and mentees up a lot sooner, so that they can have more research time to guide or help students make their decision.



4.  What are the lessons learned that others might benefit from knowing about?

Through this program lessons learned that could benefit others is that no one has all the answers.  Sometimes it takes a group of people to help one person. It is important to never be afraid to ask for help when you are unsure of something. Usually the thing that you had a question about, others were wondering the same thing but were afraid to ask.  It is very important that mentors and mentees maintain open communication lines with one another and feel comfortable asking questions, offering critiques, and showing support. This opportunity will provide the mentors and the mentees to learn something from one another.  Again no, one person has all the answers!!!



5.  In what ways will you endeavor to do the same project again, and what will you change or not do?

In the future, I plan to go to different high schools around Lansing and talk to guidance counselors and give them pamphlets about this program for any student that may be interested with my contact information on it. I would like to pair students with suitable mentors to assist them with career planning.  My plan is to start early to give myself more time to find mentors from all areas of interest.

2 comments:

  1. Dionna this is so cool. I am so happy that it has turned out very well. I cannot wait to see your final project. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great reading the actual feedback from a student working with a mentor. This example shows the true power that guidance can have on a young person. While I'm sure large scale implementation of this project will be a huge undertaking it will certainly be hugely beneficial. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete